Well I got my man
Don Liddle September 29, 1954 the Polo Grounds
We have talked about the interesting use of polls and stats. This weekend we saw a story that claimed that 1 in 5 self identified conservatives who have already voted in Ohio voted for Barack Obama.
Well, you have to believe it. It’s the truth. CNN said so.
Now I’m sure the results were exactly as they said and one in five of the people who identified themselves as conservatives to CNN voted Obama but I’d be interested in how many people that was? How many “conservatives” were polled? 1000? 100, less…
So the infamous “early voting” poll sampled . . . 13 voters in OH. I do not joke.
— Larry Schweikart (@LSchweikart) October 15, 2012
I’d really like a link there but let me give you two examples so you can understand how you can fudge a statistic without lying.
Here is the pitching line from Game 1 of the 1954 World Series:
If you looked at this box score and was told Sal Maglie came out of a tie game with Runners on 1st & 2nd with nobody out, you would of course assume that Liddle did his job, no hits, no walks, one guy faced, retired him and that was it.
But anyone with even a passing knowledge of baseball knows the reason why the Giants were able to win this in the 10th was because of a fellow named Mays:
Liddle’s stat line while accurate is misleading.
A more modern example came from yesterday when Felix Baumgartner had quite a fall on Sunday.
Now this was one of the most viewed events in history but lets look at this statistically. Based on all of the real world data currently in existence:
1. 100% of all humans who have jumped from 128,000 have survived
2. 100% of all men who have jumped from 128,000 have landed on their feet
3. Statistically a larger percentage of those who have fallen down stairs have suffered fatal injuries than those who have jumped out of a capsule at 128,000 feet above the earth.
4. More human being have died from being beaned at the plate in Major league games than have died from Jumping out of a capsule at 128,000 feet
Make sure you look at some of these interesting polls claims the same way you do those four truthful sentences above.
Update: Insta-Driscoll-Lance thanks Ed and some shameless plugs
1. Check back at 12:01 AM and discover why Hillary Clinton made the smartest political move of this election season tonight
2. This week there will be another DaTechGuy on DaRadio one hour special sponsored by Duvarney Jewelers. Join us Friday at 1 PM EST. Listen live at http://wcrnradio.com
3. If you live in driving distance of Worcester Massachusetts join me for our 100th Anniversary show at Lago Ristorante 242 mill street in Worcester Mass. Have a free brunch on us and meet your fellow listeners and the man in the fedora.
It’s all free simply register using this form