by Datechguy | December 18th, 2012
Aukon: Then die. That is the purpose of guards.
Doctor Who State of Decay 1980
Here is how the sheep and the sheepdog think differently. The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day. After the attacks on September 11, 2001, most of the sheep, that is, most citizens in America said, “Thank God I wasn’t on one of those planes.” The sheepdogs, the warriors, said, “Dear God, I wish I could have been on one of those planes. Maybe I could have made a difference.” When you are truly transformed into a warrior and have truly invested yourself into warriorhood, you want to be there. You want to be able to make a difference.
LTC Dave Grossman On Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs
There are a lot of words signifying nothing yesterday that had a political agenda. Today on Morning Joe they are celebrating Joe Manchen the Democrat Senator who decided to become a democrat now that his seat is safe.
Before we get too deep into looking at the culture etc and beating our breasts (and I have a few of those posts coming up in the next few days) the first job as Michael Graham mentioned yesterday is to come up with a practical solution to this before we go anywhere else.
The question becomes what is the actual solution. Yesterday Breitbart.com has a suggestion:
What if we had the equivalent of air marshals in schools?
What if willing teachers were trained and armed in schools?
What if we treated schools like we do airplanes and advertised the hell out of the fact that there’s a very good chance someone’s in the building who is trained and armed?
Not a bad but expensive and not really practical in the sense of insurance and training plus you never know if a teacher has issues, but Nolte is close.
Here is a simple solution that in less that 3 months in every school in the country:
Let’s say a school has 100-1000 students, odds are you can find plenty of students who have grandfathers who are retired ex police, ex military, ex law enforcement etc etc etc. These are people who have used weapons, have been trained with weapons and know how to use them with responsibility.
While retirement can be pleasant one of the thing that can be hard is no longer having responsibility. Going from a position of respect to a position where people just see you as old.
So here is my solution:
What if in each school you had 5 of those grandfathers volunteering for a day to be in the school to patrol the school either armed, or with a weapon or two in a safe in the principal’s office that only they and one other have the combination to?
That would totally change the equation in several ways:
1. Instead of a an unarmed teacher or an untrained teacher you would have an armed person who knows how to use guns between a shooter and the kids.
2. Before going after the kids the shooter would have to eliminate the armed guardian. That would at the very least complicate the plans of an attacker and at best decide it’s not worth it
3. There is a huge difference in accuracy when someone is shooting back. A shooter who has to worry about being shot can’t kill 15 people with say 12 shots because he is going to have to worry about the guy shooting at him.
4. Even if the guard is killed in defense that purpose is served because the goal is time. Time for the kids to evacuate and time for the police to get there. When seconds count police are minutes away, at worst he would die buying those minutes, at best he would hold off one or more shooters so police would be there and suddenly the shooters are flanked.
5. It would give an actual sense of security to the kids and give them all someone to look up to, an adult that is willing to lay his life on the line to protect them with no reward other than their safety, the cultural implications of such a role model would be incredible.
This idea could be implemented very quickly, with almost no cost. You would not have to train teachers in a skill that scares them.
As for the men to do the job, I suspect the problem wouldn’t be finding these people, I suspect the problem would be too many people for the slots available because it is an honorable task, a manly task and I suspect the retired sheepdogs would jump at the change to defend those they love once more.
The expense? the only thing that would take the time would be screening these men and then the cost of the safe.
You want a solution there it is. Practical, simple and low-cost to implement, without a new bureaucracy or the surrender of anyone’s rights. An actual solution without anything being a political football.
That’s why the left & media will never go for it.
Update: Roxeanne DeLuca comments:
Men will line up to protect their grandkids. The sissified version of males that the Left creates will not.