A lot of people including plenty of folks on the left yesterday are celebrating the bravery of the people who stormed the Beaches or dropped from the sky 70 years ago today to begin the end of one of the two great evils of the 20th century.
They call them “The greatest generation” although the people so honored would not refer to themselves in that way.
The fact that these people are treated with such reverence is a matter of fantastic irony to me for the following reasons.
1. All of those people who hit the beach or fell from the sky were men
2. Practically all of those men were white.
3. An overwhelming number of said White Men were Christians
4. They all came from a society that said the Lord’s Prayer in public schools
5. They came from a society where abortion was not only illegal but every single doctor before becoming certified took an oath not to perform one.
6. They all came from a society that looked down on divorce
7. They came from a society where it was legal not only for parents to spank their kids but schools could legally paddle them.
8. They came from a society where even the concept that Marriage might be something other than between a man and a woman would have been scoffed at and if you suggested Gay Marriage was a right would have considered you crazy.
9, In their society children were expected to obey their parents, show respect for their elders and self esteem just came from results.
Yet these are the greatest generation and the media celebrated these men without reserve yesterday.
Today however is no longer D-Day plus 70 years it is D-Day plus 70-years & one day. So people who lived those values and those who think such values would solve many of the problems that exist today that didn’t exist 70 years ago can be returned to their proper place in the eyes of the left as racist bigot christofacist homophobes until next D-Day or until the last vet of Omaha beach has died.
When that day comes the left will mourn but the next day they will sigh with relief that they no longer have to pretend to honor men who by their very existence disprove their worldview.
Update: At Fr. Z’s site he has a photo of Mass being celebrated on the D-Day Beach
Wondering if Maureen Dowd has a line about oppressive patriarchy or our secular humanist care to comment on ignorant non-scientific rubes or perhaps the folks who forced our Mr. Eich at Mozilla care to comment on the lack of gay married couples in the shot?
Nah didn’t think so.
Update 2: Linked by Barbara at American Freedom
This blog exists as a full-time endeavor thanks to your support. The only check I draw to pay for this coverage and all that is done is what you choose to provide.
For a full month I ask a fixed amount $1465.
With the exception of January, 2014 remains a very lean year for our blog fiscally, If we can draw a mere $50 a day that will be reversed.
If you think this coverage and what we do here is worth your support please consider hitting DaTipJar below and help keep the bills paid.
Naturally once our monthly goal is made these solicitations will disappear till the next month but once we get 61 more subscribers at $20 a month the goal will be covered for a full year and this pitch will disappear until 2015.
Consider the lineup you get for this price, in addition to my own work seven days a week you get John Ruberry (Marathon Pundit) on Sunday Pat Austin (And so it goes in Shreveport) on Monday Tim Imholt on Tuesday, AP Dillon (Lady Liberty1885) Thursdays, Pastor George Kelly Fridays, Steve Eggleston on Saturdays with Baldilocks (Tue & Sat) and Fausta (Wed & Fri) of (Fausta Blog) twice a week.
If that’s not worth $20 a month I’d like to know what is?