On June 21st after hearing about the College Republicans were suspended at the UC Irvine I decided to send When the news that the College Republicans were suspended at the UC Irvine I wrote an email to the two advisers who the College Republicans met with just before the decision was announced. I include said email in full:
1. Is this correct?1a: Was the decision to suspend the College Republicans taken before or after that meeting?1b: If before why were not the college republican informed at said meeting of their suspension, if after what action took place at the meeting that prompted this suspension
2. Is this correct, if not what was the rationale for the suspension?2a: If it IS correct, have any other student group been suspended for failure to provide a certificate of insurance? If so can you list any suspended over the last five years for this?2b: Is the necessity to provide a certificate of insurance for private security an explicit rule, if so where is this rule listed, and have any groups who have failed to provide such a certificate of insurance avoided suspension?
3. Did any such organization make such attempts and were they warned concerning security concerns?3a: We’re such organizations sanctioned for disrupting said events or creating an “unsafe environment” if not why not?
4. Does UC Irvine have any such regulations4a. If so, given the necessity for increased security for Mr. Yiannopoulos have any of the student protesters been sanctioned for creating an “hostile environment” for those trying to attend Mr. Yiannopoulos speech in general or members of the college republicans for sponsoring the event. If not why not?
5. Can you provide a list of student groups that have been suspended over the last 5 years for any reasons and said reasons for those suspensions.
Featuring DaTechGuy’s Magnificent Seven
Have Fedora Will Travel
I didn’t receive an answer but the question has become moot as per this Breitbart report:
College Republicans at UCI
Dear Ms. Rowlands and the Authorized Signers of the College Republicans at UCI,
I am contacting you on behalf of the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs. As a follow-up to my letter sent yesterday, I want to share with you that the revocation of your privileges to access space on campus through UCI Student Center & Event Services has been withdrawn pending the final outcome of your appeal. At this time, your ability to access space on campus has been restored.
As mentioned in the June 22 letter, the vice chancellor invites you to submit your appeal by July 1. We look forward to hearing from you.
Chief of Staff
The college republicans have no intention of entering any “appeal” process which would give their initial suspension a semblance of legitimacy that it doesn’t deserve
The CRs, however, quickly declined to enter any sort of appeals process, saying it could be construed an admission of guilt, which they firmly deny.
“We will under no circumstances be submitting an appeal for the decision by UCI as that would be an admittance to a wrongdoing we did not commit,” the CRs wrote in a statement. “We will not be silenced and we will not be stopped.”
The most interesting, and encouraging part of the story was the reaction of other groups both inside and outside the university:
Extraordinarily, even left-wingers on campus came out in support of their rivals’ right to free speech. In a rare display of bipartisan unity at the campus grassroots, the group for Bernie Sanders supporters at UCI issued a statement condemning the administration for “repeated mistreatment of political organizations that take part in open discourse on campus” and calling for the restoration of the College Republicans’ right to access college facilities.
It’s a great thing to see that some of the left are seeing this for what it is.
I predict that we will quietly see this entire “appeal” business dropped in the hope that all of this goes away.
I’d like to think we do good work here If you’d like to help us keep up the pace please consider hitting DaTipJar
Please consider Subscribing. If less than 1/3 of 1% of our readers subscribed at $10 a month we’d have the 114.5 subscribers needed to our annual goal all year without solicitation.
Plus of course all subscribers get my weekly podcast emailed directly to you before it goes up anywhere else.