Henry Gondorff: It’s not like playing winos in the street. You can’t outrun …
Hooker: [Interrupting] I don’t play for no winos.
Henry Gondorff: …you gotta keep his con, even after you spent his money. He can’t know you took him.
Hooker: You’re scared of him!
Henry Gondorff: Right down to my socks buster. You’re talking about a guy wou’ll kill a grifter over a chunk of money wouldn’t support him for two days.
The Sting 1973
Screwtape: I have known a human defended from strong temptations to social ambition by a still stronger taste for tripe and onions.
CS Lewis Screwtape 8
The united outrage of the media over Donald Trump is, in many ways completely unfathomable.
It’s not his positions, are plenty of pols who from Ted Cruz to Herman Cain from Ronald Reagan to Barry Goldwater and more who have advocated positions similar to these.
It’s not his language. There have been plenty of Pols who have had untamed mouths and saucy speech from Jim Curley to Jim Traficant who have been on the scene.
It’s not his wealth, the number of very rich people who have run for office from Mike Bloomberg to George Washington to JFK likely can’t be counted.
It’s not even the alleged way he has treated women: Bill Clinton, Ted Kennedy , need I say more?
No, to the media the crime of Donald trump, the ultimate crime, the crime that can’t be forgiven is he has revealed the big con.
Years ago I spoke to a pol who told me of a piece of wisdom an elderly office holder gave him when he first entered public life. He said most of it was a grift about making a comfortable living for yourself and if you’re very lucky you might just do some good along the way. Of course if your goal is to make that living you can’t let the people in on the con.
Thus the higher you go up the chain, the bigger the rewards for the position you have, and the more dependent you are on the con being maintained, because without that con you can’t get the wealth, the status or might risk being rejected by the arbiters of acceptability.
And that’s where Donald Trump throws a wrench into the system.
Unlike all the others who have talked about voter fraud, media bias, that the fix is in, Donald Trump is different.
- He’s not dependent on either the political system or the media for the wealth he has amassed.
- He’s got a built in fan base that all of the media’s efforts won’t be able to destroy
- He doesn’t give a tinker cuss about what any of these people, who for decades treated him as a golden boy for ratings, copy and money who abandoned him think about him anymore.
He is like a rich man who had somehow convinced himself that a trophy wife loved him being showed tapes of that trophy wife in bed with her lover and at a party with her friends telling both that she never really loved her husband, it was all about what he could do for him, and wants revenge.
And that revenge is to expose the big con on a platform so large they can’t prevent a large amount of the public for seeing that they’ve been played for decades.
Personally I don’t think the price the media and the system are going to pay is worth it.
Closing thoughts. You might wonder if Mr. Trump is worried about the vengeance that both the system and media will take on him after the election is done, particularly if he loses. Alas for them both the now undeluded Trump knows three things.
- As soon as the election is over those same people out for his blood right now will still have designs on the wealth and will be coming back hat in hand for a piece of it (and boy will he make them pay for it).
- There is nothing stopping him from buying dying papers and making his own competing media putting those in fear of the diminishing job prospects in the press, in an interesting spot.
- He’s also rich enough that if the entire media and government system decided they want revenge, he has enough that he, his children and his grandchildren can live full comfortable lives till the end of their days..
In other words short of actually killing him or his loved ones, they can’t do a thing to him, and he has the wealth and power to keep himself and his family secure.
If you’d like to help support independent non MSM journalism and opinion please consider hitting DaTipJar
Please consider Subscribing. Right now our subscribers consist of 1/50 of 1% of our total unique visitors based on last years numbers.
If we can get another 150 subscribers at $10 a month (another 1/10 of 1% of those who have visited this year) We can meet our annual goals with no trouble, with the same number of subscribers at $20 a month I could afford to cover the presidential campaign outside of New England firsthand.
And of course at that price you get the Da Magnificent Seven plus those we hope to add on and all subscribers get my weekly podcast emailed directly to you before it goes up anywhere else.