PR parade sponsors refuse to honor unrepentant terrorist

Readability

PR parade sponsors refuse to honor unrepentant terrorist

New York’s Puerto Rican Day parade con­tin­ues to lose spon­sors after NY City Coun­cil Speaker Melissa Viver­ito named unre­pen­tant ter­ror­ist Oscar López Rivera a “National Free­dom Hero” who will be hon­ored at the June 11th parade.

First Goya Foods, the parade’s largest spon­sor through­out its 60-​year his­tory, pulled its $200,000.

The NYPD His­panic Soci­ety and the Rafael Ramos Foun­da­tion have pulled out. Also drop­ping out,

the Patrolmen’s Benev­o­lent Asso­ci­a­tion, and the other police unions rep­re­sent­ing the NYPD senior ranks.

NYPD com­mis­sioner James O’Neill, while acknowl­edg­ing he would likely be at the parade over­see­ing thou­sands of cops sta­tioned there, refused to march in honor of a terrorist.

Jet Blue, AT&T, and the New York Yan­kees won’t be there, either,

The Yan­kees’ boy­cott par­tic­u­larly stings. Bronx Bombers who have graced the parade include Puerto Rican native Bernie Williams.

The New York Yan­kees are not par­tic­i­pat­ing in this year’s Puerto Rican Day parade,” the team said in a statement.

Instead, both Jet Blue and the Yan­kees will con­tinue their schol­ar­ship pro­grams help­ing “Puerto Rican stu­dents in both New York and Puerto Rico” by totally bypass­ing the parade organizers.

Gov. Cuomo is still waf­fling on whether he’ll attend the parade.

Uni­vi­sion con­tin­ues to spon­sor ter­ror­ism, never mind that

it wasn’t the belief in inde­pen­dence that got López Rivera locked up; it was the six pounds of dyna­mite and four blast­ing caps found in López Rivera’s apartment.

The net­work is set to air an exclu­sive inter­view on Sunday’s edi­tion of Al Punto where U.S. Rep­re­sen­ta­tive Luis Gutiér­rez com­pares López Rivera to George Washington.

Viver­ito has dug in her heels and last Mon­day held a “rally to defend the parade,” con­flat­ing the parade with the ter­ror­ist. Seth Baron reports (empha­sis added),

When a reporter asked her why López Rivera had dyna­mite, blast­ing caps, and bomb-​making dia­grams in his apart­ment when he was arrested, Mark-​Viverito said, “in regard to the specifics of that sit­u­a­tion you are talk­ing about, I don’t know every­thing that was pre­sented in the court proceedings.”

Just for clarity’s sake: the FALN claimed respon­si­bil­ity for more than 100 bomb­ings, includ­ing the one at Fraunces Tav­ern that killed four peo­ple and injured 50. At his trial, Lopez Rivera refused to par­tic­i­pate in his defense on the grounds that he was a com­bat­ant in an anti-​colonial war against the United States and thus a pris­oner of war; he demanded to be tried by an inter­na­tional tri­bunal. He was tried in open court and con­victed of “sedi­tious con­spir­acy, use of force to com­mit rob­bery, inter­state trans­porta­tion of firearms and ammu­ni­tion to aid in the com­mis­sion of a felony, and inter­state trans­porta­tion of stolen vehi­cles.” López Rivera refuses to take respon­si­bil­ity for the con­se­quences of his acts, nor has he renounced vio­lence, con­ced­ing only that other means are “more effec­tive.” When asked about the sur­viv­ing fam­ily of his vic­tims, he told an inter­viewer in 2011, “If you don’t respect me, why should I rec­i­p­ro­cate? I wasn’t there to tell them, ‘Hey, lis­ten, I’m sorry.’ That’s not me.”

I do not exag­ger­ate when I say that López Rivera set his apart­ment as a bomb-​making facil­ity.

Lopez-​Rivera had been in fed­eral prison since 1981, serv­ing a 55-​year sen­tence which was extended an addi­tional 15 years fol­low­ing two failed attempts to escape, where

he con­spired with oth­ers inside and out­side his prison to kill his way to free­dom, attempt­ing to pro­cure grenades, rifles, plas­tic explo­sives, bul­let­proof vests, blast­ing caps, and armor-​piercing bullets.

Three days before leav­ing office, then-​President Barack Obama com­muted López Rivera’s 70-​year sen­tence. López Rivera was released on May 17th.

No word on whether Obama will attend the parade.

Fausta Rodríguez Wertz writes in U. S. and Latin Amer­ica at Fausta’s blog.

New York’s Puerto Rican Day parade continues to lose sponsors after NY City Council Speaker Melissa Viverito named unrepentant terrorist Oscar López Rivera a “National Freedom Hero” who will be honored at the June 11th parade.

First Goya Foods, the parade’s largest sponsor throughout its 60-year history, pulled its $200,000.

The NYPD Hispanic Society and the Rafael Ramos Foundation have pulled out. Also dropping out,

the Patrolmen’s Benevolent Association, and the other police unions representing the NYPD senior ranks.

NYPD commissioner James O’Neill, while acknowledging he would likely be at the parade overseeing thousands of cops stationed there, refused to march in honor of a terrorist.

Jet Blue, AT&T, and the New York Yankees won’t be there, either,

The Yankees’ boycott particularly stings. Bronx Bombers who have graced the parade include Puerto Rican native Bernie Williams.

“The New York Yankees are not participating in this year’s Puerto Rican Day parade,” the team said in a statement.

Instead, both Jet Blue and the Yankees will continue their scholarship programs helping “Puerto Rican students in both New York and Puerto Rico” by totally bypassing the parade organizers.

Gov. Cuomo is still waffling on whether he’ll attend the parade.

Univision continues to sponsor terrorism, never mind that

it wasn’t the belief in independence that got López Rivera locked up; it was the six pounds of dynamite and four blasting caps found in López Rivera’s apartment.

The network is set to air an exclusive interview on Sunday’s edition of Al Punto where U.S. Representative Luis Gutiérrez compares López Rivera to George Washington.

Viverito has dug in her heels and last Monday held a “rally to defend the parade,” conflating the parade with the terrorist. Seth Baron reports (emphasis added),

When a reporter asked her why López Rivera had dynamite, blasting caps, and bomb-making diagrams in his apartment when he was arrested, Mark-Viverito said, “in regard to the specifics of that situation you are talking about, I don’t know everything that was presented in the court proceedings.”

Just for clarity’s sake: the FALN claimed responsibility for more than 100 bombings, including the one at Fraunces Tavern that killed four people and injured 50. At his trial, Lopez Rivera refused to participate in his defense on the grounds that he was a combatant in an anti-colonial war against the United States and thus a prisoner of war; he demanded to be tried by an international tribunal. He was tried in open court and convicted of “seditious conspiracy, use of force to commit robbery, interstate transportation of firearms and ammunition to aid in the commission of a felony, and interstate transportation of stolen vehicles.” López Rivera refuses to take responsibility for the consequences of his acts, nor has he renounced violence, conceding only that other means are “more effective.” When asked about the surviving family of his victims, he told an interviewer in 2011, “If you don’t respect me, why should I reciprocate? I wasn’t there to tell them, ‘Hey, listen, I’m sorry.’ That’s not me.”

I do not exaggerate when I say that López Rivera set his apartment as a bomb-making facility.

Lopez-Rivera had been in federal prison since 1981, serving a 55-year sentence which was extended an additional 15 years following two failed attempts to escape, where

he conspired with others inside and outside his prison to kill his way to freedom, attempting to procure grenades, rifles, plastic explosives, bulletproof vests, blasting caps, and armor-piercing bullets.

Three days before leaving office, then-President Barack Obama commuted López Rivera’s 70-year sentence. López Rivera was released on May 17th.

No word on whether Obama will attend the parade.

Fausta Rodríguez Wertz writes in U. S. and Latin America at Fausta’s blog.