There are a lot of people who still misjudge and underestimate Donald Trump and it started this day three years ago. It worth revisiting that original speech that got it all started
and the media reaction to it;
To make a long story short the entire MSM’s take on Donald Trump’s speech sounded like the Movie Blazing Saddles when Bart starts singing his version of: “I get a kick out of you.” with the MSM playing Lyle the overseer shouting:
“Hold it What the hell is that shit?”
I remember listening to the speech and thinking it was first rate while everyone I spoke to and know, particularly in media heard something completely different. I’d like to quote myself in full from my post I put up just as the speech finished
…the MSM didn’t get understand what Trump was doing.
1. They were looking for a standard announcement speech. Trump didn’t want to give one. Trump’s base, if he has one, consists of people who normally don’t give a damn about an election.
2. They were looking for wonk stuff that they could take apart. Trump didn’t do wonk stuff. People don’t understand wonk stuff, don’t want to hear wonk stuff and change the channel when wonk stuff is on TV.
3. They expected Trump to try to impress them. Trump didn’t even try. He knows what the media think of him. He wanted to impress the people who are impressed by a person who has made it and made it big.
4. They expected a stage managed event. Trump wasn’t looking to do that. He wanted to give a speech that didn’t appear stage managed or written by a speech writer. He wanted a speech that sounded like the guy having a beer at a barbecue with you was talking .
5. Finally they were expecting a tight event. Trump didn’t give one. He understands how television works, he gave a speech specifically designed to force the networks covering him to stick with him much longer than they would have planned to do so.
Bottom line Trump speech had specific goals in mind:
1. Reach the people who generally don’t watch this kind of speech.
2. Hit on the themes in the language a low information voter can understand.
3. Make a speech that the networks covering it didn’t dare leave
4. Go long enough so people seeing it would tweet out to their friends who aren’t watching Cable News: “You’ve got to turn this on and see this” so folks would switch over from the Price is Right or the View,
5. Make a speech that would build audience would build and hit the top of the hour so that all the news shows AND Rush Limbaugh would be talking about it at once generating buzz by the buckets.
His goal had nothing to do the reporters or networks covering him. He wasn’t playing the game by the rules they expected, he made his own rules and made them play along. He accomplished exactly what he wanted to do in the way he wanted to do it.
In other words he punked the MSM and punked them good and just like Bart in Mel Brooks Blazing Saddles, he’s laughing at them.
In fairness to the MSM et/all they had no experience of a candidate like Trump and even the Twitter numbers which caught my eye from day one didn’t phase them.
But it’s been THREE YEARS NOW, Trump hasn’t changed his tactics or his style and while some people like Senator Ted Cruz have changed their minds, their perception of President Trump evolving based on the facts on the ground and the record of accomplishment per this CPAC interview:
The media/left and the never Trump still doesn’t get it. They remain in the bubble where they think every time Trump speaks it’s going to doom him.
The left has 4 months to figure this out before the midterms and two years to do so before the election of 2020. Based on what I’ve seen these last three years I don’t think they’ll manage it.
if you think this site is worth supporting please consider kicking in here:
Or even better subscribing.
Either way it’s most appreciated.
Update: Fixed an error in tense