It’s one of those days when the time got away from me. I woke up a little later than usual but full of energy. One of the conundrums in my life is that I’m not a neat freak but I think, process and write better in orderly surroundings. So, after my daily caffeine injection and a light breakfast, I set myself to making my surroundings more orderly.
We single people strike a deal with ourselves in our homes. Because, unless one is rich enough to hire a cleaning service, there’s only us to bring order out of chaos. Of course, some singles just say “forget it,” but I’m not that one. But, cleaning the house takes time out of other things – the things we want to do and are committed to doing – like finding a topic to write about knowledgeably. So here I am, writing about my Saturday morning house cleaning.
As I said, I’m not a neat freak, but I do have pet peeves.
- Floors are a big thing for me. If I don’t clean anything else during a clean-up flurry, I will sweep and mop the floors because nasty floors are a welcome mat to six-legged unwanted guests. I haven’t seen any of them lately, so I guess they’re visiting my neighbors.
- I keep all outdoor shoes lined up by the wall next to the front door and wear flip-flops inside. Seeing shoes anywhere else triggers me a bit. That began many years ago when I stepped on my boyfriend’s shoe and sprained my ankle. The shoes must be put away!
- I cleaned the refrigerator, something I try to do about every two weeks. My mom used to make me do this when I was a teenager and, with five of us in the house, it was a disgusting job that I hated. But now I find I hate a dirty refrigerator even more. It’s a lot easier to clean with only one person making a mess.
- Clothes. I’ve mention before that I have no laundry facilities in my building and laundromats are a drain on funds, so I hand-wash. I’ve become very good at it in the last three years, but it must be done every day to keep a fresh supply of clean, dry clothes available.
- Things like the dishes and the bathroom get cleaned every day, so no need for those this morning.
- Maybe I do have some neat freak tendencies.
After all that – and a little goofing off online – I looked at the time and it was becoming short. And so it is that you get the boring baldilocks day.
As some of you may have guessed, I consider all of this a great blessing.
Back to cleaning; got to wipe the blinds.
Hit Da Tech Guy Blog’s Tip Jar or hit Juliette’s!