By A.P. Dillon
On August 29th, the body of 17 year-old black male was found hanging from a swing set in Bladensboro, North Carolina. That young man’s name was Lennon Lacy. North Carolina’s State Bureau of Investigation (SBI) and the local Bladensboro police were involved in the investigation into Lacy’s death, which was ruled a suicide. The Bladen county district attorney, Jon David, has issued a statement backing the findings of both the SBI and the local authorities.
The NC NAACP thinks this was a race based homicide, not a suicide. They contend this could have been a lynching. There has been some pointing of fingers at residents of the ‘white trailer park’ adjacent to where Lacy’s body was found according to a Guardian report. That same report includes the tidbit that Bladensboro is also called ‘crackertown’. There was also a recounting from a sports blogger that contained reference to a confederate flag he remembered from when he apparently used to practice in Bladensboro back in 1995.
Also, it appears the 17 year-old was in a relationship with a 31 year-old white female named Michelle Brimhall. Allegedly, Brimhall left her husband in February and the Lacy family has reportedly questioned why police had not questioned him. According to the Guardian, the family also said that Brimhall had broken up with Lacy weeks before his death. Brimhall denied it.
The NC NAACP has called for a Federal investigation. There seems to be a lot of calls for the DOJ to be involved these days. The NC NAACP hired an outside pathologist, Dr. Christena Roberts, whose findings call into question the “quick” ruling of suicide according to an NC NAACP press release. It is worth noting Dr. Roberts was brought in by the defense team for the former Duke Lacrosse rape accuser, Crystal Mangum, who was standing trial for the alleged murder of her boyfriend. Mangum was later convicted of 2nd degree murder in that case.
Bear in mind, the leader of the NC NAACP is Reverend Barber. Barber leads the hyperbolic and hypocritical Moral Monday and is keen on theatrics with a history of seeing racism in ever corner – except his own. For what it’s worth, I’ve lived in North Carolina for almost 17 years and I can’t remember a time when Barber wasn’t ginning up discord somewhere in the state with the race card. As such, it is hard for me to take what he says seriously.
For example, in this case, Barber has also been calling up images of Emmett Till, likely referencing the relationship of Lacy’s with a white woman. That might be a valid comparison IF Barber hadn’t been throwing Till’s name around for shock value in the past during Moral Monday protests. For another example of his theatrics, take in what Barber said about the memorial service; emphasis added:
But Barber also talked about the chilling thought that lingered, otherwise unmentioned, over the scores of black and white people attending the packed memorial. “The image of a black boy hanging from a rope is in the souls of all of us,” he told them. “It is in the DNA of America. In 2014, our greatest prayer is that this was not a lynching.”
The image of a black boy hanging is in ‘in the DNA of America’? I suppose that’s why we elected a black president. Twice.
I suppose that’s why “scores of black and white people” were attending the memorial.
Having said that, there are some weird things about this case.
1. The 911 caller who reported finding the body gauged Lacy’s age as between late 30’s and early 40’s. The caller, a woman, also said she had nothing to cut him down with. Sometime between her call and police arriving, the body was indeed cut down.
2. Two belts, one black canvas and one royal blue canvas, were used to fashion the noose that was used. Relatives did not identify the belts as belonging to Lacy.
3. There were issues with the height of the swing set and being able to reach the beam that the belts were attached to. Also, there appeared to be no item used to stand on by the deceased for which to tie the noose and then kick it away in order to kill himself. A copy of the press release that contains the report by Dr. Roberts contains the following observations; via WRAL with emphasis added:
“One end of the swing set has a climbing platform attached. The noose was reportedly tied to the supporting cross beam (appears to be a 2 x 6″) and then fed through a metal grommet that was screwed into the wood. This grommet was 22.5″ away from the platform. Lennon was 69″ tall. The height of the cross beam to the ground was 90”. In a photo provided his brother who is 6’4″ could not reach up and touch the beam. There were no swings on this swing set to act as a step to reach the beam. There was no item present at the scene that Lennon could have stood on, applied the noose and then kicked away. The only other way to reach the beam and grommet therefore had to be from the climbing platform. No measurements are available at this time for the noose (described below) but it does not appear long enough to have been tied around the beam, fed through the grommet and still allow a large enough loop for him to be able to place over his head. The side structure of the platform is a rather small square that is further obstructed by the vshaped vertical supports of the swing.”
4. The body was found wearing sneakers the relatives say were not his. The sneakers found with the body were white with no laces and Lacy had been seen leaving for an evening walk in a pair of grey athletic shoes. The white sneakers were allegedly size 10 and half, however Lacy wore a size 12. While all other effects of Lacy’s were described, the shoes were not with the body when it arrived at the coroner’s and was missing in the description of the personal items according to the autopsy report.
5. More related to the shoes, relatives also have mentioned that a new pair of Jordan basketball shoes have apparently gone missing. Lacy allegedly purchased the shoes recently before his death.
The detail about the shoes bothers me.
The family reports Lacy wearing gray sneakers of some kind when they last saw him. It is unclear if those gray sneakers were the Jordan’s the family alleges are missing.
If they were the Jordan’s, teens sadly have been murdered for their shoes before. Just recently, 3 men were sentenced in Georgia for shooting a man over his sneakers.
I would hope the police would be looking into who in the area possibly wears a 10 and half and perhaps has a new pair of grey sneakers on. Instead, they are likely doing battle with the Reverend Barber because ‘justice’… or something.
If you enjoyed this article, you should really check out other pieces written by Da Tech Guy’s Magnificent Seven writers and maybe hit that tip jar!
A.P. Dillon (Lady Liberty 1885), is a Conservative minded wife and mother living in the Triangle area of North Carolina. A.P. Dillon founded the blog LadyLiberty1885.com in 2009. After the 2012 election, she added an Instapundit style blog called The ConMom Blog. Mrs. Dillon recently participated in Glenn Beck’sWe Will Not Conform. Mrs. Dillon’s writing, in addition to Da Tech Guy’s Magnificent 7, can also be found at StopCommonCoreNC.org, WatchdogWireNC and WizBang. Non-political writing projects include science fiction novellas that are, as of yet, unpublished. Her current writing project is a children’s book series.