Leonard: Lesley, this is Penny, she lives across the hall from Sheldon and me. Lesley and I do research together at the University.
Penny: Oh, wow, a girl scientist.
Lesley: Yep, come for the breasts, stay for the brains.
The Big Bang Theory, The Hamburger Postulate 2007
Mika Brzezinski is seven years older that Ms. Erin. As handsome a woman as she is there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that as she continues to age there will be pressure to augment or replace her with a younger woman to attract more eyeballs to the show.
As you might have heard Megyn Kelly has signed a big money contract with NBC and will be heading there shortly.
There has been some debate on the net about this (why I don’t really know) but to me this is no different than say Pablo Sandoval cashing out big with the Red Sox after winning a world series because the reality with a female anchor/reporter is not much different, there is a limited window to cash in and once that window closes you find yourself in Tina Fey land:
I submit and suggest Tina Fey’s show was an affirmative action hire that survived on an ultra liberal network as payback to the lady who the hollywood left considered the hero of the 2008 election. NBC carried 30 Rock not as a business decision, but as a statement.
But NBC isn’t making that statement any longer and as for the Palin business 2008 is long gone and Gov Palin isn’t running for anything anytime soon. So where does that leave Tina Fey until the SNL 50th anniversary reunion?
It leaves her as an attractive woman who will be turning 45 on my birthday in an industry unkind to women as they age or put on weight who needs to be noticed.
Now there are legit reasons for NBC to pay Kelly big money, she had success at Fox and she’s clashed with the POTUS Elect so they can beard both of their foes and maybe she will bring ratings, but I agree with Stacy McCain that there is a danger:
NBC is anti-Christian and pro-Islam, anti-family and pro-abortion, anti-cop and pro-“Black Lives Matter.” The partisan and ideological biases at NBC News are so blatantly obvious that it is impossible to imagine that you, Ms. Kelly, could be permitted to broadcast anything there that would deviate from the network’s Democrat/“progressive” agenda. NBC is anti-Christian and pro-Islam, anti-family and pro-abortion, anti-cop and pro-“Black Lives Matter.” The partisan and ideological biases at NBC News are so blatantly obvious that it is impossible to imagine that you, Ms. Kelly, could be permitted to broadcast anything there that would deviate from the network’s Democrat/“progressive” agenda.
I agree with Stacy that if she decides to go the full leftist then she will fade and become just another aging woman waiting for a younger hotter one to replace her, but if she wants to do more than cash in the person she needs to emulate is already working for NBC.
One of the reasons why Mika works is she does the following:
- She doesn’t hide her biases, Ms Kelly should do the same, if she is actually conservative, pro-life and pro-family she should be so at NBC, she should wear her bias on her sleeve for all to see and it will bring an audience.
- She isn’t afraid to question or critique her own side. Assuming MS Kelly is a conservative that’s not an issue, but if she is in fact a liberal who went conservative for Fox, she needs to be willing to question liberal dogma.
- Bring on guest you disagree with. This is something you did on Fox and something Mika does. By allowing all viewpoints you increase both your audience and the respect of people who are actual worth having the respect of.
- Remember the people who got you there: I’ve watched Mika make live appearances with Joe and stay late until every single fan is greeted. They are your customers, follow that example and they’ll stay with you.
- Mika isn’t afraid to break the media template, for example, when she put on 15 pounds she celebrated it rather than ran from it. Keep that in mind.
- Have fun. Mika has fun doing what she does and is not afraid to do so. Do the same.
Now of course if all you want to do is cash out that’s fine too, but if you do, I don’t want to hear a fuss if you end up shedding a rip away dress and striking a “mount me” pose in Stephen Colbert goodbye episode to get noticed someday.
I’d say that’s a fate worth avoiding.