then she might have headlined the next White House Correspondent’s dinner instead of watching ABC cancelling their biggest hit
ABC, in a stunning move, has decided to cancel its Roseanne revival following star Roseanne Barr’s racist tweet Tuesday.“Roseanne’s Twitter statement is abhorrent, repugnant and inconsistent with our values, and we have decided to cancel her show,” ABC Entertainment president Channing Dungey said Tuesday.Early Tuesday, star, head writer and exec producer Barr attacked Valerie Jarrett, a senior adviser to former President Barack Obama, in a since-deleted tweet in which she said “Muslim brotherhood & planet of the apes had a baby=vj.” Barr subsequently apologized: “I apologize to Valerie Jarrett and to all Americans. I am truly sorry for making a bad joke about her politics and her looks. I should have known better. Forgive me — my joke was in bad taste.”
In one respect this is all kind of odd in the sense that Valerie Jarrett is not big enough news to be worth the joke and frankly given the Obama administration’s love of the Muslim Brotherhood and Jarrett’s connections to Iran you could have make a good joke without the ape business if you wanted to highlight that but it still seems odd, it would be like making a joke Hamilton Jordan joke, neither is relevant enough to be worth Roseanne’s time and frankly these days making fun of a woman’s appearance is trouble.
Roseanne seemed to figure this out pretty quickly and abjectly apologized and deleted the tweet pretty fast, but as Jarrett is not a conservative in general or a Trump supporter in particular making fun of the appearance of a woman is simply beyond the pale for a comic and ABC knowing the grief that was coming from the left decided it was better to dump their best rated show than risk the wrath of the left.
Five quick thoughts:
1. Note that Roseanne’s apology, while appropriate, didn’t buy her any sympathy. That’s a lesson for the next person who crosses the left, one might do better just telling them: “If you don’t like my joke, **** You. I’m a comic and I’ll joke any damn way I please.”
2. Despite Glenn Reynolds post I think that ABC was protecting their advertisers by this cancellation as it is they along with the network that would have been getting the pressure otherwise. Don’t think for one moment that ABC’s customers (ie their advertisers) didn’t appreciate this.
3. If I was at charge at FOX I would have the show signed before the end of the day. You might think that’s odd given point two but can anyone tell my how the description of Fox by the media/left after adding the Roseanne show to their lineup would be differ from what they call Fox anyways?
4. From a social conservative standpoint this has both long and short term advantages. In the long term it is inevitable that if Roseanne stayed on the air for years they would have sold social liberalism to Trump voters in a way other shows could not. Meanwhile in the short term I think Glenn Reynolds tweet here is on the money:
ABC hands midterms to Trump, GOP. https://t.co/TajWTjLlzq
— Instapundit.com (@instapundit) May 29, 2018
The biggest danger for the left in election 2018 is energizing of Trump voters. Given the double standards on what is acceptable and what is not I can’t help but this this is going to help the GOP in the midterms.
5. If you are a fan of Last Man Standing remember that the only reason why Fox picked it up was because of Roseanne’s success. So even with Roseanne off the air you are still up a show.
I was never a big fan of the old show and only watched one or two of the new ones. It was OK but not God’s gift to comedy so for myself so other than the political ramifications I don’t really care but watching the end result of all of this is going to be interesting but let me leave you with one more thought.
Never forget that all of the people currently beating their breasts and virtue signaling over a few tweets that were almost instantly apologized for spent the last 20 years enabling Harvey Weinstein, Matt Lauer, Charlie Rose et/all because they were valuable to the left.
If you think the cost of what we do is worth it to counter balance the MSM and the various online censors I would ask you to hit DaTipJar below
Consider subscribing. We need another $200 in monthly subscribers to make up for attrition in 2018 thus far