Before I even get started let’s make a few things clear.
1. While I’ve lived my whole life in Massachusetts. I have no dog in the Confederate Battle Flag fight, my people came here in the early 20th century. I have no ancestors who fought on either side of the Civil War and I don’t give a damn what South Carolina does or doesn’t decorate the grave of their ancestors with.
2. Anyone who tells you the Civil War was not about slavery is lying to themselves. Simply read the Newspapers of the time and you will see this was issue #1. If twitter existed in the 1850’s you would find Democrat using the same language to defend slavery that you see them use to defend abortion today.
3. There are a lot of holier than thou people here in the North who look down on Southern Whites, in fact it’s my experience that the only people they look down further on than southern whites are blacks .
4. The only thing more delusional than pretending the civil war wasn’t about slavery is to act as if Black Americans do not have a legitimate reason to consider the Confederate flag offensive.
5. That being said this entire flag issue is not about justice it’s about taking advantage of a murderous rampage to score political points by opportunists who need to engage their base prior to an election. It’s Trayvon Martin circa 2016. If the left thought there were more votes in keeping said flag they’d be marching to protect it.
All of the above notwithstanding it’s clearly apparent that the Confederate Flag is coming down from the monument on the Statehouse grounds in SC but the real story will be the pressure that will come to have it removed from anywhere it appears.
That being so I have a modest suggestion for those who don’t want to give the left an easy win.
If we are rightly going to say that the Confederate Battle Flag should be removed because of its connection to the propagation of slavery I submit and suggest that we go a step further.
I think that any ban on the confederate flag at, for example, a school or a state location should also be expanded to ban the flag of the old Soviet Union which was directly responsible for the murder of tens of millions of people. I would also call for a ban of Che T-Shirts and any other communist symbols.
I would go so far as to say that all of these symbols should be banned together, after all what kind of message is it for us to embrace one symbol of slavery & murder while embracing others? Particularly since unlike slavery when ended 150 years ago in the US the acts of the Soviets & Che are still in living memory in fact people are still being tortured, oppressed and slain under communism in this present day.
I think I would really enjoy watching Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders hedge on Che and the Soviets, and I think it would be a lot of fun to watch the same academics who are self righteously beating their breasts over the rebel flag start making excuses for the Soviets and the other mass murders that they have cheerfully embraced.
If you’re going to ban one racist symbol, ban them all, it’s for the children.
Update: A pretty good speech by Nikki Haley but it hit me. The flag is flying over a monument not over the statehouse. why don’t they just move the monument that the flag flies over?