We have been seeing a lot of open bitterness between liberal actors who supported (or settled for Hillary Clinton) and paying audience members who supported (or settled for) Donald Trump.
So being a fan of compromise between actors worried about being triggered by the sight of audience members who they disagree with and audience members who don’t want to be lectured from the stage let me make the following proposal that we can all get behind.
The “Hamilton” Infrastructure Ticket SurTax.
I propose an Excise Tax of 100% on any ticket to a play or show that sells for $100 or more (including reseller fees) with such dollars being directed toward infrastructure development.
This is a tax that everybody should love, For the right it not only provides a funding mechanism for proposed spending rather than just spending it also directs the majority of the funding toward those voices on the left who have been insisting for years that they don’t mind being taxed, taking them at their word not to mention
Meanwhile our liberal Friends should love this tax for several reasons:
- It funds infrastructure which is always a big issue for the left.
- It is a tax specifically directed to the top 1% since it is only applied to tickets above the $100 level thus ensuring the rich pay their “fair share”.
- and most importantly it exponentially decreases the chances that any performer might risk being triggered by the sight of those plebes in anything but the nosebleed seats that we’ve been reliably informed is all, in a best case scenario, Trump voters can’t afford anyway.
It also provides two excellent incentives
- It provides innovation for producers worried about the effect of such a tax on sales to come up with low cost creative alternatives say a flat fee streaming service for people to see plays or a regularly scheduled monthly performance where all seats are under $100 meaning actors would have warning and time to prepare before the traumatic triggering experience of facing an audience of the Hoi Polloi.
- It provides an incentive for the good government types on the left who unexpected had no problem with the IRS targeting conservatives over the last few years to rediscover their dislike of a government targeting their political enemies.
The “Hamilton” Infrastructure Ticket surtax, an idea whose time has come!
If you’d like to help support independent non MSM journalism and opinion please consider hitting DaTipJar
Please consider Subscribing. Right now our subscribers consist of 1/50 of 1% of our total unique visitors based on last years numbers.
If we can get another 150 subscribers at $10 a month (another 1/10 of 1% of those who have visited this year) We can meet our annual goals with no trouble, with the same number of subscribers at $20 a month I could afford to cover the presidential campaign outside of New England firsthand.
And of course at that price you get the Da Magnificent Seven plus those we hope to add on and all subscribers get my weekly podcast emailed directly to you before it goes up anywhere else.