Ambassador Fox: Your refusal to comply with my orders has endangered the entire success of this mission. I can have you sent to a penal colony for this.Star Trek, A Taste of Armageddon 1967
Mr Scott: That you can, sir, but I won’t lower the screens.
Ambassador Fox: Your name will figure prominently in my report to the Federation Central.
Doctor McCoy: Well, Scotty, now you’ve done it.
Mr. Scott: Aye. The haggis is in the fire for sure, but I’ll not lower my defenses on the word of that mealy-mouthed gentleman down below. Not until I know what happened to the Captain.
This is the companion of Don’t sweat the small stuff. Carefully Choose the Hills Worth Dying On.
While questions like
- Do you want a blue bedspread vs a yellow one?
- What type of flowers do we plant in the front
- Do you buy Tide or Gain to do the laundry?
aren’t worth a dispute things like…
- Can we afford this House?
- How Big a Car Loan can we take.
- Do we move across the country
- Do we pay for Private School for the kids?
…are things that are important because they will affect financial and social future of you, your spouse and your kids. A bad decision here can make for a rough life so such questions have to be worked soberly and carefully, even if it leads to a fight.
Furthermore there may be times when one’s self respect is at stake. While such times are rare and with wisdom may not come up at all, at such times it may be necessary to take a stand that has to provoke a crisis.
There are times to put your foot down in a marriage, if you’re going to do so make sure it’s something more important than pancakes for breakfast or taking the short cut to the party.
If you’re going to fight and die on a hill be damn sure that hill is worth dying on.
Previously in 30 tips to Stay Married 30 Years
- #1 Choose Wisely
- #2 A Long Engagement
- #3 Get Married in Church
- #4 Don’t Write Your Own Vows
- #5 Set Limits Early
- $6 Live Modestly
- #7 Embrace Your Mother-In-Law
- #8 If Possible Take Advantage of Your Parent’s Advice
- #9 Don’t Diss your Spouse to your friends
- #10 Remember Birthdays and Anniversaries
- #11 NEVER DISS YOUR SPOUSE ON SOCIAL MEDIA!
- #12 Pray
- #13 Angry Gifts
- #14 Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff