Last year DaWife and I went to see the Red Sox sweep the Atlanta Braves in Atlanta and after the series took a run to EWTN to meet up with a lady by the name of Lucy who is familiar to EWTN viewers as the lady who is at the daily mass each morning wearing a white alb.
I interviewed her for my Interviews with Immigrants series but she also took the time to speak to me and my wife and gave us a bit of advice.
Lucy told us to make sure that every single day we tell each other that we love each other and thank each other for being our spouse.
Now this might seem a rather trifling thing but I think it’s not, particularly if it’s at the start of the day.
As we already noted first impressions matter, when the 1st impression of the day is anger, it’s easy for anger to come from it.
But when the 1st impression of the day is positive a different direction beings.
I think Lucy’s advice is worth including here with one small caveat.
You can consider either starting OR ending the day with that expression of love and gratitude.
A day that starts well has a great chance of ending well but a day that ends well can make the difference for the day that will follow.
And remember none of us are promised tomorrow, so if you start or end the day with that expression of love and gratitude if that last day comes unexpectedly, you will not have to regret failing to say those words when you had the chance.
So a hat tip to Lucy for the one Tip that came from outside our marriage
The 30 tips to date:
- #1 Choose Wisely
- #2 A Long Engagement
- #3 Get Married in Church
- #4 Don’t Write Your Own Vows
- #5 Set Limits Early
- $6 Live Modestly
- #7 Embrace Your Mother-In-Law
- #8 If Possible Take Advantage of Your Parent’s Advice
- #9 Don’t Diss your Spouse to your friends
- #10 Remember Birthdays and Anniversaries
- #11 NEVER DISS YOUR SPOUSE ON SOCIAL MEDIA!
- #12 Pray
- #13 Angry Gifts
- #14 Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff
- #15 Carefully Choose the Hills Worth Dying On
- #16 Avoid Temptation & Suspicion
- #17 Have an Argument Escape Plan (and or let your spouse use their’s)
- #18 Don’t spoil the kids, particularly early
- #19 A United Front
- #20 Remember Marriage is Work
- #21 Maintain Surprise
- #22 Ignore the Jones
- #23 The Dollar Store is Your Friend
- #24 Don’t start the Day Wrong