The official start to the free agent season in the NFL is my wife’s birthday and it can’t come soon enough for me because the All Brady all the time on Boston Sports talk radio has reach Bloomberg Ad level status
This comes at a time when the Bruins are ruling the NHL the Celtics have taken a sad (but newsworthy turn) and the Red Sox rotation has reached a point where the best way to describe this season’s potential is to paraphrase Sgt Mulcahy from the Classic John Wayne movie Ft. Apachie when he was asked to judge some rotgut wiskey that was being smuggled to the Indians. Well sir, it’s better than no baseball at all.
All these developments are newsworthy and talk worthy but it’s Brady Brady Brady to the point where one thinks this is his way to soften the blow when he leaves since we’ll all be saying thank God THAT’S over.
But for those of you still wondering on this subject let’s make a few points
- While everybody has been saying how Brady wants to play three more years people are forgetting that Bill Belichick also doesn’t have a lot of years left coaching presuming that he was serious about not wanting to coach deep into his 70’s. Brady might have three seasons left in him but Bill likely has no more than five and may only need four to pass Don Shula on the all time list
- Belichick knows the road to the Superbowl leads through Kansas City and Patrick Mahomes. No matter how you crunch the numbers there is no available Quarterback more likely to beat Patrick Mahomes in a playoff game in KC than the one guy who did it just two years ago: Tom Brady
- Tom Brady is very rich, his wife is very rich and he will remain very rich if it retired tomorrow. The idea that 3-5 million is going to make a huge difference in what he decides to do at this point is simply silly.
- Tom Brady’s wife has been wanting him to retire for years. (I suspect his absence from non-mandatory sessions was part of a compromise with her to keep playing.) He is not going to go anywhere that doesn’t have an airtight offensive line.
- Please stop pretending it’s a crisis because Brady hasn’t signed before Free Agency. It is seven days to free agency, Tom Brady has never been a free agent. After waiting all this time do you really think he’s going to wait till one or two days before free agency beings and THEN sign with the Pats. That’s simply absurd. He is going to see what the offers are 1st.
- Tom Brady not only has nothing to prove, but is apparently STILL pissed off at being passed up till the 6th round by every team out there. I would not be surprised if he pulled a Rocky Marciano on the guys who offered him back money to come back and let those teams offer him big bucks and then sign with the Pats saying: “Hey if you really wanted me you should have drafted me when you had the chance”.
- There is only one wildcard in this entire process. Does Brady want to challenge himself by trying to win a Superbowl elsewhere?
All these things are possibilities, but you know what the most important truth is? Just this:
We don’t know what’s going to happen and we won’t know until it happens.
So let’s all chill.